Shrimp Cakes you say? And on the barbecue grill? For those who love the delectable flavor of crab cakes, this Grilled Shrimp Cake Recipe can be quite similar but with their own distinct, delicate, and arguably better flavor.
These flavorful cakes have a lovely, crunchy grilled exterior and are chock full of tender, sweet, and succulent tidbits of shrimp lightly interspersed with the subtle flavors of sweet bell pepper, onion, garlic, and spice.
I have a thing for cake. I’m not necessarily talking sweet cakes, although I love those as well. I’m taking Seafood Cakes. One of my family’s favorites that we make often is FRESH Salmon Cakes which can be baked, seared, or even grilled.
Crab Cakes are definitely one of my all time favorite meals, but I don’t make them often as sourcing the crab can be a bit of a challenge in the Midwest.
Shrimp Cakes, though, and specifically these Grilled Shrimp Cakes! Oh my, are they an absolute delight! Especially with a homemade Spicy Remoulade Sauce, Grilled Asparagus and Lemon, and an epic evening of grilling, patio sitting, music listening, and cocktail drinking with friends.
How to make Grilled Shrimp Cakes
There are two important steps that make these successful.
First, make sure all of the ingredients are diced and minced very small. This helps the cakes hold their shape and evenly distributes the flavors throughout.
The second step to success is to let the cake mixture chill a bit in the refrigerator. The purpose is the same, shape and flavor!
Follow these guidelines and even though the Shrimp Cakes can be a bit delicate to work with, you will have an amazing, flavor packed reward.
After chopping raw shrimp into pea size or smaller, stir together with panko bread crumbs, mayonnaise, onion, bell pepper, parsley, celery, garlic, spices.
After chilling, pat the mixture into cakes.
Sear the cakes briefly over the flame and then finish cooking indirectly, JUST until the interior of the cake is cooked through.
The Shrimp Cakes can be cooked directly on well oiled grill grates or a wire, mesh cooling rack placed on the grill grates.
What to serve with Grilled Shrimp Cakes:
- SPICY REMOULADE SAUCE
- GRILLED ASPARAGUS WITH GRILLED LEMON
- ROASTED LEMON PARSLEY BUTTER POTATOES
- EASY GRILLED PARMESAN ASPARAGUS
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON AND SHALLOTS
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Grilled Shrimp Cake Recipe
- 24 ounces raw shrimp, peeled deveined and coarsely chopped into pea size or smaller
- 3/4 cup panko Japanese style breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablepoons capers, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning cajun seasoning may be substituted
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- Stir the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and chill for 1 hour or more.
- Set up a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (350 – 400 degree grate temperature) indirect cooking. This means the Shrimp Cakes cook next to the flame and not over it.
- Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop or measuring cup to scoop and then pat the shrimp cake mixture into patties. Place the patties on a non-stick spray cooking sheet until all of the mixture is shaped into cakes/patties.
- Briefly sear the cakes directly over the flame for 1-2 minutes, gently flipping one time and searing the other side for 1-2 minutes as well before moving to indirect heat to finish cooking. This can be done very carefully directly on the well oiled grill grates OR using a well oiled metal cooling rack.
- Finish cooking on indirect heat for 10-15 minutes, just until the shrimp from the interior of the cake is opaque and cooked through. Do not overcook as this can toughen the cakes.
- Serve with SPICY REMOULADE SAUCE if desired.
- Grill the lemons cut side down over the flame until the cut side is slightly charred and caramelized. Move to indirect heat and cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Squeeze over the Shrimp Cakes as desired.
If you enjoyed this video for Grilled Shrimp Cakes, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel(P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video).