Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins with Streusel Topping is the perfect way to start your morning!
These muffins come together in minutes! The sour cream makes them perfectly moist with a tender crumb and adds just the right amount of depth to showcase the sweet, juiciness of the blueberries. The delicate crunch of the streusel is a burst of flavor and texture with every bite.
While they look and taste like a million bucks, these muffins come together quickly, just like my Apple Streusel Muffins. I love not waiting for the weekend for a special breakfast. Cereal and yogurt just don’t cut it every day. These muffins take 10 minutes or less to stir together and bake for another 20 minutes, so breakfast or brunch can be ready in about half an hour.
How to make Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins with Streusel
Whisk together eggs and sugar in a medium size mixing bowl. Add sour cream, a little oil, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
In a larger bowl, stir together the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Gently fold in fresh blueberries. I always prefer fresh berries when they are available.
Can I use frozen blueberries and do I need to defrost them first?
Yes, they can be substituted and they do not need to be defrosted first. Defrosted will also work, but the juices will turn your muffins a little purple. Still tasty, just purple.
How to make the easy, homemade Streusel.
Streusel is a crumbly topping of flour, butter, and sugar that is baked on top of muffins, breads, pies, and cakes. Some recipes add spices, oats, and/or chopped nuts. We will add a pinch of salt and cinnamon to bring out all the blueberry fabulousness of these muffins.
The streusel is made by cutting in room temperature butter with the dry ingredients until it looks like large crumbs. If your butter is soft enough, you can use the tines of a fork and not get out the pastry cutter.
Put 1-2 tablespoons on the top of each muffin and then bake. Cool slightly and enjoy!
These Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins with Streusel are fabulous the day you cook them and will keep well for 2 – 3 days in an airtight container on the counter.
Have your tried these? I’d love to hear from you. Leave me a comment below!
Pin me now to save for later!
Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins with Streusel
- 2 eggs, large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries about a pint
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the sour cream, oil, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- In a larger mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter among the muffin cups.
- Cut butter into the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Place1-2 tablespoons on the top of the muffin batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.