This Extra Crispy Panko Parmesan Kettle Fried Chicken is grilled on the flavor-enhancing barbecue grill to heavenly, golden glory!
The simple panko and parmesan breading creates the most luscious and juicy chicken with an insanely crispy crust!
Chicken thighs perform really well on the grill because they are quick-cooking, inexpensive, and due to the higher fat content, are often juicier and more forgiving than chicken breasts.
Can I use any cut of chicken to make Kettle Fried Chicken?
Yes! The recipe below uses the cook times and weight for chicken thighs, but any cut (I love this recipe with chicken wings!) will perform almost as well, but the timing may need to be adjusted to not overcook white meat as it can dry out easier.
How to make Extra Crispy Panko Parmesan Kettle Fried Chicken
Begin by assembling the Panko Parmesan breading.
In a small tray or bowl, combine panko bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese with several common spices.
Pour buttermilk in a small bowl large enough for a chicken thigh to fit into.
Dip each thigh first into the buttermilk, then into the breading.
Grill indirectly until crispy and golden brown.
You can watch me make this in the VIDEO below!
What should I serve with Extra Crispy Panko Parmesan Kettle Fried Chicken?
I love eating it with GRILLED PANKO PARMESAN ZUCCHINI FRIES which uses the exact same breading.
It’s also fantastic with GRILLED CHEESY RANCH LOADED POTATOES and the three can even all cook on the grill at the same time.
I cook this meal frequently on my 26″ Weber Kettle.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Extra Crispy Panko Parmesan Kettle Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Panko Parmesan Breading
- 1 cup panko unseasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for a 350 – 400 degree grate temperature or medium high, set up for indirect cooking. Indirect cooking/grilling means the food is not placed directly over the heat source, but cooks to the side of it.
- Stir together the Panko Parmesan Breading in a medium sized pie plate, mixing bowl, or baking sheet. Add the buttermilk to a small mixing bowl.
- After stirring together the breadcrumbs, coat the chicken thighs, both top and bottom, first in the buttermilk. Next dredge into the breadcrumbs, pushing the thighs firmly into the breadcrumbs to help them adhere, before placing on well oiled grill grates NOT directly over the heat/coals. Close the grill lid.
- Cook undisturbed for approximately 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and/or parsley if desired.
Can I use any cut of chicken to make Kettle Fried Chicken?Yes! The recipe below uses the cook times and weight for chicken thighs, but any cut (I love this recipe with chicken wings!) will perform almost as well, but the timing may need to be adjusted to not overcook white meat as it can dry out easier.
If you enjoyed this video for Extra Crispy Panko Parmesan Kettle Fried Chicken, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel(P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video).