The Bomb Italian Sausage Sandwich! And yes it is. The Bomb that is!
Updated just in time for Game Day!
This cheesy, spicy, saucy, oh so messy, Italian sausage on crusty Italian bread sandwich holds a special place in my families heart.
My dad first had this sandwich when he and my mom moved to St.Louis back in 1977. St. Louis has a very prominent Italian district that’s still around today called The Hill. There was a small Italian delicatessen just south of The Hill called Grassi’s and one of their signature sandwiches was called The Bomb. The Bomb was served on a poor boy type bun, with lengthwise sliced Italian sausages, pepper jack cheese, red sauce, wrapped in foil and toasted. Our version is still much the same.
This has been a favorite family dinner in my family for so long I can not even remember how old I was when I had it for the first time. I know my children can say the same, because I’ve been making them myself since my husband and I were married.
How to make The Bomb Italian Sausage Sandwich
In our version as a family dinner, we use 2 large loaves of Italian crusty bread, preferably the authentic stuff from The Hill.
My Homemade Red Sauce in Less then 40 Minutes! makes the best version of The Bomb Italian Sausage Sandwich that we have ever had.
While your Red Sauce is simmering, place 10 Italian sausage links on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees, flipping once until cooked through and brown on both sides.
Can you use premade marinara or red sauce instead? Yes, just make sure to purchase the best quality possible.
When the sauce and sausages are done cooking, set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Slice a pound of pepper jack cheese into thick slices. When the sausages are cool enough to handle, slice lengthwise and then across for a total 4 pieces per sausage link.
After slicing the Italian bread lengthwise and placing on a cookie sheet, spread the Homemade Red Sauce on both sides of the Italian bread.
The cheese slices go on the top half of the loaf and the sausage link pieces will go on the bottom half of the loaf. Now the slightly tricky part. Very carefully place the top part of the loaf with the cheese onto the bottom half of the loaf with the sausages to make a sandwich. Cover the cookie sheet with the two loaves placed side by side tightly with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted.
Using a bread knife, slice into sandwich size sections and serve with an Italian salad for a simple supper or slice into narrow pieces to serve as an amazing Game Day or party treat. I hope this will be a family favorite like it is in our home. Enjoy!
Pin now to save this recipe for later!
Tried this? Leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
The Bomb Italian Sausage Sandwich
This cheesy, spicy, saucy, oh so messy, Italian sausage sandwich holds a special place in my heart.
- 2 large loaves Italian bread sliced lengthwise
- Recipe for Homemade Red Sauce in Less Then 40 Minutes! See link in recipe notes
- 10 sausage links
- 1 pound pepper jack cheese sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare the Homemade Red Sauce in Less Then 40 Minutes! as directed.
- Place 10 Italian sausage links on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes turning once until cooked though and brown on both sides.
- Slice sausages lengthwise and across for 4 pieces per link.
- Slice pepper jack into thick slices.
- Slice Italian bread loaves lengthwise.
- Sauce the insides of both halves of the bread and lay them side by side on a large cookie sheet.
- Lay the cheese slices on the sauce on the bread half that will be the sandwich top.
- Place the sausage link pieces on top of the sauce on the bread half that will be the bottom of the sandwich.
- Carefully place the top of the sandwich on top of the bottom.
- Cover the sandwiches on the cookie sheet tightly with foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Using a bread knife, slice into sandwich size pieces and serve.