This quick and easy, 15 minute Grilled Parmesan Asparagus side dish is a grilling-season must! Roasted directly on the grill grates, the smokey, indirect heat brings out the best in these tender, crisp spears.
The smokey, charred caramelization that happens when asparagus is grilled is a little bit magical. Top those tender, crisp earthy spears with the salty, nutty bite of fresh-shredded Parmesan cheese and you have a 15 minute, healthy side dish that tastes like a million bucks!
I don’t know about you, but grilling season and everything that goes along with it is one of my favorite times of the year. Patio sitting in the shade, feet up, flip-flop wearing, big ol’ glass of red or a frosty, cold beer? Tunes playing, birds chirping, kids waaaaayyyy off in the distance? Ummm…yes please!
Especially when you can cook your entire meal on the grill. The smells! Jealous neighbors? You bet!
Grilling asparagus is a go-to, grilled vegetable in my house. That’s no joke.
Asparagus goes well with just about any kind of protein, dessert, appetizer, or other sides:
- Grilled Asian Chicken Kabobs
- Sticky Asian Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Street Corn Salad
- Grilled Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Teriyaki Steak
- Grilled Triple Berry Crisp in a Cast Iron Skillet
Parmesan is my kids favorite way to top it. I’m also a big fan of Grilled Lemons with Asparagus.
So quick and easy:
- Snap off or cut away the bottom woody tip.
- Toss the asparagus spears in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place directly on the grill, but not over the flame.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese!
How to make Easy Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
Begin by rinsing the asparagus spears to remove any dirt or grit.
Remove the bottom one to two inches from each spear. The bottom inch or two can be woody or fibrous.
This can be done by snapping off the ends or cutting it away with a knife.
Drizzle the spears with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Please the asparagus spears directly on the grill grates, but not directly over the flame and close the grill lid. In other words, indirect grilling.
After the spears have developed the caramelized grill marks and charred edges, remove from the grill and sprinkle with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
If you’ve tried this Easy Grilled Parmesan Asparagus or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Easy Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh cracked
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, fresh shredded
- Rinse and pat dry the asparagus spears.
- Snap or cut away the bottom woody one to two inches of each spear.
- Toss the asparagus spears with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place directly on the grill grates, but not directly over a flame.
- Close the grill lid and cook for 5-10 minutes until grill marks develop, edges begin to char and the spears are tender-crisp. Cook time will depend on grill temperature and asparagus spear thickness.
- Remove from the heat and immediately top with shredded parmesan cheese.