The BEST Teriyaki Marinade – Quick and easy, asian-inspired marinade that will tenderize the toughest cuts with all the flavors of soy, ginger, garlic, sesame, and chili, sweetened with a little brown sugar.
Teriyaki Marinade is of Japanese origin, but in my house, Teriyaki always brings to mind The Great One. The Great One is my Grandpa, but my kiddos gave him this rather grand title and it has stuck.
One of the dishes he is most known for is his Grilled Teriyaki Beef Steak. The recipe is in two of our family cookbooks (Yes, that side of my family tree can really cook!) and it is still passed around regularly to those who don’t have copies.
My version is a little more updated. Sesame seed oil and fresh ginger was not readily available in 1967 when he first started making it and I like to think that it adds just another fabulous layer of flavor.
The BEST Teriyaki Marinade is very quick and easy to make. It’s great with almost any protein like chicken wings, pork tenderloin, fish, but also vegetable kabobs, portobello mushrooms and so much more. It’s especially effective on tough or lean cuts like flank steak or chicken breasts. Preparation happens in minutes. Simply whisk all the ingredients together and let it tenderize and infuse your meat with flavor in the refrigerator.
Try The BEST Teriyaki Marinade on one of my favorites, Grilled Teriyaki Steak.
Pin now to save for later!
Tried this? Leave me a comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
The Best Teriyaki Marinade
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon stone ground/course mustard
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper / red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Marinate steak, chicken, pork, or protein of choice for 4-12 hours in a ziplok bag or a covered dish in the refrigerator. Marinate shrimp or other seafood for 30 minutes to 2 hours.