Are you Team Maine or Team Connecticut? I call this The BEST Shrimp Roll Recipe because I want the best of BOTH!
Sweet, tender, succulent nibbles of shrimp are dressed with a light, lemony mayo sauce, add the subtle crunch of celery, and serve it up in a warm, butter-toasted bun for a little bite of heaven!
What makes this the BEST Shrimp Roll around?
- One simple step. Sauté those shrimp morsels in butter and seasoning. Everyone else braises theirs. That’s the same as boiling, folks! Where’s the flavor in that?
- Next! Toast those buns golden in that lovely shrimp butter.
Shrimp Rolls can be whipped up in minutes.
They are a fantastic weeknight treat, but also can’t be beat to wow everyone at the next brunch, lunch, baby shower, or birthday party.
How to make The Best Shrimp Roll Recipe
Coat the shrimp in salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.
In a large saute pan, melt butter until it is hot and foamy.
Add the seasoned shrimp to the hot butter and let it brown the edges making them extra flavorful.
Next, in a mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, minced celery and celery leaves, lemon juice and zest, and sliced green onions.
Whisk it all together.
Fold in the warm shrimp.
Finally, in the hot, butter coated saute pan, place the insides of soft, split buns.
Use the leftover shrimp-seasoned butter drippings to toast the buns to golden glory.
After the buns are toasted, fill them with the warm Shrimp Roll Salad.
Can I use frozen shrimp?
Absolutely. Just make sure the shrimp have been completely defrosted and thoroughly patted dry. Extra water could make the shrimp salad watery.
Can I use pre-cooked shrimp?
I don’t recommend this. Sautéing raw shrimp with butter and seasoning is part of what makes this recipe so good.
Can I make this ahead and serve it cold?
Yes. The Shrimp Roll Salad can be made up to 48 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
The Best Shrimp Roll Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled, and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup mayonaise not miracle whip
- 1/4 cup minced celery including leaves
- 1 tablespoon green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 Soft, buttery buns or croissants
- Preheat a large saute pan on medium high heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the shrimp together with the spices.
- Add the butter to the sauté pan. When it begins to foam, add the shrimp in a single layer.
- Let the shrimp remain undisturbed for 1-3 minutes until they are mostly cooked through and then flip one time. Cook for an additional minute on the second side JUST until they are opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the hot pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ingredients for the creamy sauce before gently folding in the warm shrimp.
- Keeping the saute pan on medium-high heat, place split buns, open side down, into the seasoned shrimp butter remaining in the pan. Swirl the buns to coat the bread and leave face down 1-2 minutes to toast the insides of the bread.
- Fill the toasted buns or croissants with the warm shrimp salad and garnish with additional green onions or celery if desired.
If you enjoyed this video for The BEST Shrimp Roll Recipe, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel(P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video).