Grilled to crispy, golden flavorful perfection, these zucchini (or yellow squash) fries are tender and luscious on the inside with a buttery, herbed Panko and Parmesan crust. Grilled Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries will be the Summer side dish you didn’t know you were missing!
I LOVE how easy these crispy bites of heaven truly are. While they have became an overnight sensation in our side dish line-up, they are also a fantastic appetizer with the decadent dipping of HOMEMADE BANG BANG SAUCE!
Between discovering a fantastic way to use up my plethora of zucchini, I adore that it is also a veggie side dish I can make on the grill.
How to make Grilled Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries
Begin by assembling the Panko Parmesan breading.
In a small tray or bowl, combine panko bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese with several common spices.
Pour buttermilk in a small bowl large enough for a zucchini fry to fit into.
Cut each zucchini into 1/2 inch by 3 or 4 inch ‘sticks’.
Dip each fry/stick first into the buttermilk, then into the breading. Grill indirectly until crispy and golden brown.
Can I substitute Yellow Squash for the Zucchini?
Yes! I especially love the combination of the two.
Can I make Grilled Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries in the oven?
Yes! Directions are in the recipe card notes below.
May I use regular breadcrumbs instead of panko breadcrumbs and what is the difference between the two?
I prefer panko breadcrumbs because of their lighter, airier texture. I think the result is crispier. Regular breadcrumbs are a finer texture and work as well, but with a slightly denser crust.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Grilled Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- 1 pound zucchini – cut into 1/2" x 4" 'sticks' or 'fries' (two or three 6" zucchinis)
- 1 cup buttermilk
Panko Parmesan Breading
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for a 350 – 400 degree grate temperature or medium high, set up for indirect cooking. Indirect cooking/grilling means the food is not placed directly over the heat source, but cooks to the side of it.
- Stir together the Panko Parmesan breading in a medium sized pie plate, mixing bowl, or baking sheet. Add the buttermilk to a small mixing bowl.
- Dip each zucchini stick first into the buttermilk and then into the Panko Parmesan breading, pressing firmly to help the breading adhere.
- After each zucchini fry has been coated, place them all at once, with space in between each, directly on the grill grates for indirect cooking (not directly over the flame or coals) before closing the lid.
- Let the zucchini fries cook indirectly, with the barbecue grill lid closed, for 25-35 minutes, or until the outside is golden and crunchy and the interior is tender.
- Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and/or parsley if desired.
- Serve with HOMEMADE BANG BANG SAUCE for the perfect accompaniment.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Complete steps two and three above and then bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
If you enjoyed this video for Grilled Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel(P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video).