Winner, Winner Pork Belly Dinner! My Sticky Chinese Pork Belly is a new family favorite!
This Sticky Chinese Pork Belly is melt in your mouth, sticky, sweet, crispy, and spicy. It’s absolutely fabulous with rice, ramen, noodles or by itself for those who prefer low-carb or keto.
I may have mentioned my love for homemade bacon like once or twice, right?
Well, recently while cruising the samples at Costco with my youngest, I discovered that they sell pork belly by the slab. Fresh, not frozen, and they will cut to order a nice thick center piece if you request it. (That sound is angels singing in the background by the way.) So exciting!
Anywho, I came home with 7 pounds of pork belly. Kind of extreme, I know. My intent was 5 pounds for my next batch of Homemade Hickory Smoked Bacon, with a bonus 2 pounds to play with.
I decided to create my own version of the Chinese inspired route and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out! When everyone is fighting for who gets the last sticky, sweet, spicy, melt in your mouth morsel, you know you have a winner!
How to make Sticky Chinese Pork Belly
This relatively easy recipe starts by slow braising the pork belly in a fragrant bath of chicken stock, grated ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar for 2 hours.
The meat is then cubed into 1″ chunks.
Cook the meat in a very hot fry pan with a little vegetable oil to crisp and caramelize the edges.
Finally, add the sweet, spicy, fragrant sauce.
Cook until bubbly, sticky, and slightly thickened.
Serve over rice with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
I frequently choose Oven Roasted Asparagus or steamed green beans seasoned with butter, salt, and pepper as a side.
It’s an absolutely beautiful dish that doesn’t disappoint.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.
Love Asian flavors? Make sure to check out my Blood Orange Chicken, Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps, and Asian Shrimp Cakes with Mango Chutney and Honey Sriracha Sauce.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Sticky Chinese Pork Belly
- 2 pounds pork belly
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger, fresh
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Divide your pork belly into 2 slabs.
- Put pork belly and the braising liquid ingredients into covered saute pan.
- Cover and gently simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove braised pork belly from saute pan and discard broth.
- Cube pork belly into 1″ chunks.
- Whisk sauce ingredients that include the second portion of grated ginger, pepper flakes, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, and rice wine vinegar in small bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a very hot fry pan.
- Add cubed pork belly and fry until edges are crispy and caramelized.
- Discard excess drippings if necessary.
- Lower fry pan heat to medium.
- Add sauce mix to fry pan and cook until thickened and sticky approximately 2 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice.
If you enjoyed this video for Sticky Chinese Pork Belly, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel(P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video).