Funeral potatoes, party potatoes, cheesy potatoes? The names are varied and many, but with golden edges, a sexy crust, melty cheese, creamy, tender, fluffy potatoes, Easy Grilled Cheesy Potato Casserole is everything my comfort food craving little heart could possibly desire!
I went to a wedding shower last weekend and the bride’s mom had a huge pan of what she called ‘funeral potatoes’. They disappeared in giant spoonfuls before anything else on the table could.
I asked for the recipe and my inner food snob cringed a bit at ingredients such as cornflakes and can of cream of anything, but they were just so darned good! Then my girlfriend proceeded to tease me about how I should make them on the grill since apparently I grill a lot.
So, I did.
Two days in a row.
This slightly tinkered with version hot off the grill in a cast iron skillet with that sexy crust is even better than the original! And absolutely delightful with Smokey Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Tenderloin and Triple Berry Crisp!
How to make Easy Grilled Cheesy Potato Casserole
Set up and preheat a barbecue grill for indirect cooking.
Indirect grilling or cooking means that the charcoal or flame is on one side of the grill and the skillet will cook not directly over it.
Saute butter with minced onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a 12″ cast iron pan.
Stir in potato cubes (defrosted hash browns), cream of chicken soup, freshly shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
Sprinkle the crispy topping over the top of the casserole that is made from melted butter, crushed cornflakes, and parsley.
Cook indirect on the grill with the lid closed for 30 minutes or until bubbly, golden, and cooked through.
Can I cook this in the oven or does it have to be grilled?
After sautéing the onions, the casserole may be cooked in the oven to finish. The details are below in the recipe card.
What if I don’t have a cast iron skillet, can I use another pan?
Any pan used on a barbecue grill may be substituted as long as the size is comparable. My preference is cast iron, as other pans do not create the unique ‘crust’ that happens with cast iron cooking.
What should I serve with my Easy Grilled Cheesy Potato Casserole?
- SMOKEY BROWN SUGAR CRUSTED PORK TENDERLOIN
- GRILLED TRIPLE BERRY CRISP IN A CAST IRON SKILLET
- STICKY ASIAN GRILLED CHICKEN THIGHS
- BOURBON BACON GRILLED BAKED BEANS
- BOURBON BACON HAM AND PINEAPPLE KABOBS ON THE GRILL
- GRILLED TERIYAKI STEAK
- GRILLED BANG BANG SHRIMP
- HERB BUTTER SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN AND ROASTED VEGETABLES
- EASY GRILLED PARMESAN ASPARAGUS
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Easy Grilled Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces frozen, square hash browns – DEFROSTED
- 2 cups sour cream (not fat free)
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- Preheat a barbecue grill to 350-400 degree grate temperature, set up for indirect cooking.
- Place a 12" cast iron pan directly over a medium high heat source and melt the butter.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Move the pan off the heat source and stir in the defrosted hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and shredded cheese.
- Stir together the Crispy Topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cook indirectly, not over the heat source, with the grill lid closed for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly, browned around the edges, and cooked through in the center.