Forget the sticky marshmallows and instead try this incredibly easy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole that combines tender cubes of sweet potatoes in a maple-syrup-infused, light caramel sauce all topped with a toasty, pecan crumble crust. The best part? The Crock Pot does almost ALL of the work!
What I love about this side is the sheer simplicity that the combination of the right quality ingredients produces with minimal effort. There is no boiling or roasting of the sweet potatoes. The maple caramel sauce is just basics dumped in the Crock Pot. The Pecan Crumble Crust is 5 pantry staples sprinkled over the top.
And who doesn’t always wish for more oven space? Let the Slow Cooker make this side dish for you!
When I say that this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is incredibly easy, I mean it!
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes.
- Add the caramel ingredients and stir.
- Sprinkle the crumble.
- Close the lid.
- Yep. That’s it!
What is the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?
In the United States, the terms “yam” and “sweet potato” are used interchangeably, but they are completely different vegetables. Yams are starchy and have a rough, brown exterior. They can grow up to 45 feet long and are eaten in parts of Latin America, West Africa, the Caribbean, and Asia. Sweet potatoes are a New World root vegetable, have a softer, reddish skin, a creamier, sweeter, and darker interior. Most American supermarkets are selling sweet potatoes, not yams.
How to make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole (without marshmallows!)
Begin by using a vegetable peeler to peel 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. That is usually 3 to 5 sweet potatoes, depending on their size.
Next, cut them into 1″ cubes and toss them in a large Crock Pot.
Add brown sugar, half and half, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and a pinch of cayenne and stir it all together.
To make the pecan crumble crust, add toasted pecans to a small mixing bowl with brown sugar, flour, butter, and salt. Stir this together and sprinkle over the top of the sweet potatoes.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours until the center potatoes are very tender and the pecan crumble is golden brown.
Can I use anything in a can called either Yam or Sweet Potato as a substitute for the fresh Sweet Potatoes in this recipe?
No. The canned version of this root vegetable (correctly labeled or not) has been cooked. The specifications for this recipe require a raw sweet potato as found in most supermarkets in the produce section.
Looking for more side dishes for your holiday meal? Check out some of my other favorites:
- FRESH GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE FROM SCRATCH
- TOASTED PECAN STREUSEL PUMPKIN PIE
- ROASTED SAVORY MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- PUMPKIN PECAN CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING
- ITALIAN HERB GARLIC CHEDDAR BISCUITS FROM SCRATCH
- ROASTED LEMON PARSLEY BUTTER POTATOES
- THE BEST CHERRY PIE RECIPE WITH HOMEMADE FILLING
- BAKED SHRIMP MACARONI AND CHEESE
- OVEN ROASTED ASPARAGUS
If you’ve tried my Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole (without marshmallows!) or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole (without marshmallows!)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed to 1"
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pecan Crumble Crust
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Line or spray a large slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and then stir to combine with the sweet potatoes. Pat them flat.
Pecan Crumble Crust
- Toast the pecans on a large baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8 minutes until darker gold and fragrant. Roughly chop the pecans if using halves.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the Pecan Crumble Crust ingredients and then sprinkle over the top of the sweet potato mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover the Crock Pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the sweet potatoes are very tender in the center and the pecan crumble crust is golden.
- Let the casserole rest for 15 – 30 minutes before serving so the caramel sauce around the sweet potatoes thickens to the perfect caramel consistency.