This ultra-moist, intensely pumpkin muffin is perfectly spiced and topped with a buttery, nutty, crispy-crumble in every bite. Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel are pure muffin perfection! And YES! This muffin magic happens in about 30 minutes.
I won’t bore you with my long-lasting love affair with all things pumpkin and pumpkin spice, I’ll simply say that I’m definitely qualified, with a vast experience, to say that this is the BEST PUMPKIN MUFFIN I have every had. Period.
My kids will also attest to this due to the year round appearance of PUMPKIN PECAN CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING, TOASTED PECAN STREUSEL PUMPKIN PIE, PUMPKIN PIE DUTCH BABY, and a favorite savory recipe ROASTED PUMPKIN WITH BROWN BUTTER AND CRISPY SAGE.
What makes this muffin special? I’m so glad you asked because I can’t WAIT to tell you! First:
- Toasted Pecans – yes! Toasting them makes a huge flavor boost.
- Streusel – I mean buttery, toasty, nutty, sweet, with a pinch of salty, crunch?….Yes, please!
- Pure Pumpkin Puree – and a LOT of it!
- Sour Cream – sounds simple, right? But the depth and moisture it adds to the batter cannot be denied.
How to make Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel
In a large mixing bowl, begin by whisking together the flour with the other dry ingredients including baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
Can I substitute Pumpkin Pie Spice and what is the difference?
Two (2) teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in the muffin batter IF necessary, although the spice ratio in Pumpkin Pie Spice is slightly different from the recipe above and varies from brand to brand. I prefer to use the individual spices for the exact flavor combination I want to achieve.
Next, in a medium bow, whisk together the eggs and sugars, and then add pumpkin puree, sour cream , oil, and vanilla.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Should I use fresh or canned pumpkin puree?
The consistency and flavor can vary dramatically with these options and even with the brand of canned pumpkin chosen. Sugar, Pie, or Sweet Pumpkins, which is what is chosen to make a pie, can have many varieties and varying levels of sweetness and creaminess. Some brands of pumpkin puree even include varieties of squash in their mixture and can also be noticeably different from can to can. Libbys is probably the most well known and uses one variety that they have developed of Dickinson Pumpkin themselves and remains true to taste, texture, and color from can to can. I don’t have a ‘right’ answer and have used both fresh puree and canned many times, but Libbys tends to be my quick go-to choice.
What is the difference between Pumpkin Puree and Pumpkin Pie Filling?
This recipe calls for 100% pumpkin puree. It’s easy to pick up a can of pumpkin pie filling by mistake, and I’ve done it myself. Pumpkin Pie Filling is the ‘box cake mix’ of pumpkin pie making. It already contains some spices and sugars and facilitates an easier pie recipe. I do not recommend it for this.
After dividing the batter among 18 muffins, make the easy streusel.
Cut together the butter with toasted pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt until it resembles course crumbs.
Toasting pecans is as easy as baking them for a few minutes on a cookie sheet but takes away any raw, green flavor and imparts a divine flavor boost of toasty, caramelized nuttiness to them. I highly recommend this step.
Top each muffin cup of batter with a spoonful of Pecan Streusel and then bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
These are fantastic warm or room temperature. The streusel is at it’s most crisp the day of baking, but the muffin will remain very moist in a sealed container for 2-3 days at room temperature.
If you love a quick and easy muffin as much as I do, make sure to try a few of my other favorites:
- BLUEBERRY SOUR CREAM MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
- APPLE STREUSEL MUFFINS
If you’ve tried my Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Share a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, Instagram or save it to Pinterest and tag it @SAVORWITHJENNIFER and hashtag it #SAVORWITHJENNIFER. I can’t wait to see your work!
Pin this now to save for later!
Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line with papers or grease 18 standard size muffins cups.
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour with the baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and add the white and brown sugars. Continue to whisk until well combined.
- Add the Pumpkin Puree, sour cream, oil, and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Add the wet pumpkins mixture to the dry ingredients and just in JUST until they are incorporated.
- Using a 4 onunce ice cream scoop or spoon, divide the batter between 18 muffin cups.
- Toast the pecans for 6-8 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Add the toasted pecans and all of the other streusel ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and using a pastry cutter or sturdy forks, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the streusel resembles course crumbs.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of the streusel on top of the uncooked pumpkin batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mother, Gardener, Book Devourer, and Food Obsessor. I love being inspired with fresh, seasonal ingredients and relish every opportunity to elevate my home cooking. Join me!
The strusel on too really made this muffin! And it was so moist!! Love it!!
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback, Alex.