Fresh vegetables and herbs, stock, dry white wine, and half and half combine in this Cream of Turkey (or Chicken) Soup Recipe for one of my favorite comfort foods! Bonus – it’s amazing for using up left over turkey or chicken!
Despite the depth of flavor, this one pot soup is so incredibly easy and tastes like it took hours to simmer. Creamy and bursting with chunky pieces of turkey and the tender bite of fresh vegetables, this soup bares no resemblance to what comes out of a can in looks or taste.
I love a Sunday afternoon, simple weeknight, or perfect cozy meal soup. It’s so comforting and seasonal, especially when it’s combined with a batch of ITALIAN HERB GARLIC CHEDDAR BISCUITS FROM SCRATCH or GUINNESS BEER BREAD.
It makes the house smell amazing, it’s a joy to eat, and if you are lucky there will be extras for the next day’s lunch.
How to make Cream of Turkey (or Chicken) Soup
Begin by dicing fresh carrots, celery, and onion. Mince garlic and chop parsley and thyme.
Shred or cube the cooked turkey or chicken and make sure there are not any bones in the meat. You can use white or dark meat in this recipe and even rotisserie chicken.
In a large dutch oven, sauté the fresh vegetables in butter.
Add the flour and cook for several minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
Whisk in the wine and add the fresh herbs.
Add chicken stock, half and half, and the cooked turkey.
Simmer for about 20 minutes and serve!
Can I use the leftover turkey or chicken carcass in this soup?
Absolutley. It is not necessary for the great results of this recipe, but if you happen to have it, it is free added flavor to do so. Add the carcass to the soup when the other turkey or chicken is added and remove after the soup has simmered and before serving.
For a few other of my favorite cold weather comfort foods, try:
- SLOW COOKER BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE FROM SCRATCH
- SMOKED CHUCK ROAST CHILI
- RED WINE BEEF STEW WITH MUSHROOMS AND CARROTS
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS FROM SCRATCH
- BEEF AND GUINNESS STEW WITH GUINNESS BEER BREAD
If you’ve tried my Cream of Turkey Soup or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Cream of Turkey (or Chicken) Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushes red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups turkey or chicken, cooked, chopped or shredded, skin and bones removed.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter on a medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and salt.
- Sauté the vegetables for about 10 minutes until they are tender.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of flour plus the 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue to cook the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the wine, parsley, and thyme until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the stock, half and half, turkey or chicken, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes on low.