Pasta on the grill…Say what? Grilling the ingredients for this simple pasta dish ups the flavor ante in a way you won’t believe! Grilled Salsiccia Pasta uses classic Italian ingredients that are roasted to sweet and smoky perfection on the barbecue and then blended into an easy, simple pasta sauce.
Roasted red peppers, garlic, and onion pair beautifully with zesty, grilled Salsiccia Italian sausages. Grilling them really makes the flavors shine and intensify as they reach caramelized perfection on the grill.
I’ve mentioned a time or two my enjoyment of grilling and patio sitting. I find cooking outside to be extremely enjoyable, especially when it’s combined with family, friends, a cold cocktail, music, and more. I especially love taking a meal traditionally prepared inside and making it even better when it is done on the barbecue grill.
What is Salsiccia?
Salsiccia is a universal name for different types of fresh Italian sausage. It usually refers to a sausage made with minced or ground pork meat, pork fat, and numerous spices. The mixture is stuffed into a natural pork or sheep casing, and it is rarely cured or smoked.
How to make Grilled Salsiccia Pasta
Begin by setting up your barbecue grill for indirect cooking. This means that there is a side with a flame or coals, and a side that does not have a heat source under it.
Drizzle red bell peppers, a large onion, and a head of garlic with olive oil and sprinkle them with kosher salt.
Roast several salsiccia (Italian sausage) links along with the red peppers, onion, and garlic on the grill with the lid closed on the indirect heat side for about half an of hour, or until they are all tender and the onion and garlic has began to turn golden.
Move the skin side down red peppers briefly over the flames to char the skin. The charred skin will be removed later, but the process creates a lot of flavor.
Remove everything from the grill after it has cooked. Cut the sausage links into thin, sliced rounds. Use a fork to remove the charred skin from the peppers. Roughly chop all of the vegetables.
Heat a 10″ cast iron skillet over the flames and add butter. Whisk in flour after it has melted and cook the roux briefly before deglazing with a little white wine.
Add cream, chicken stock, and the chopped vegetables. Use an immersion (stick) blender to blend the sauce. A traditional blender can also be used.
Simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly. Serve over cooked pasta with the salsiccia slices, fresh basil, and parmesan cheese.
Do you love to grill as much as I do? Try a few of my other favorites:
- SMOKED CHUCK ROAST CHILI
- GRILLED SAUSAGE WITH PEPPERS AND ONIONS
- GRILLED CHICKEN SPIEDINI SKEWERS
- STICKY ASIAN GRILLED CHICKEN THIGHS
- GRILLED HOMEMADE ITALIAN MEATBALLS
If you’ve tried my Grilled Salsiccia Pasta or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Grilled Salsiccia Pasta
- 1.25 pounds Salsiccia (Italian Sausage) links
- 2 red bell peppers – cut in half vertically, seeds removed
- 1 white or yellow onion, large peeled, cut in half horizontally
- 1 head of garlic, large, top 1/4 of the head cut off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Set up the barbecue grill for indirect cooking at a medium heat or around 350 degrees.
- Drizzle peppers, onion, and garlic head with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook the peppers skin side down indirectly except to move briefly over the flame to char the skin.
- At the same time, roast both the onion, head of garlic, and salsiccia on in-direct heat until golden and caramelized. +/- 30 min
- Remove the cooked sausages, peppers, onion, and garlic head from the grill. Use a fork to remove the charred skin from the peppers.
- Squeeze the cloves out of the head of garlic.
- Roughly chop the peppers, onion, and garlic. Cut the Salsiccia sausages into slices.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over the flame (or on the stovetop.) Melt the butter, add the flour, cook the roux for 1-2 min.
- Deglaze with the white wine., scraping the bottom of the skillet to remove any browned bits, and wisking into the wine until well combined.
- Add the cream, stock, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, red peppers, onion, garlic cloves.
- Use an immersion blender (or traditional blender), to blend. The sauce does not need to be smooth. Check the salt ratio, you will need more and add as needed. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with cooked pasta, sliced sausages, and garnish with lots of fresh basil, parmesan cheese, and cracked black pepper.