Is this Apple Cinnamon Swirl Loaf a cake, a bread, for breakfast, dessert, or shall we just all agree that it’s delicious?
With a crackly, cinnamon brown sugar crust baked along the bottom, sides, and top, this Apple Cinnamon Swirl Loaf is a show stopper right from the beginning. Tender, bright apple tidbits wrapped in cinnamon and brown sugar are then swirled into an ultra moist, buttermilk batter and baked to golden, fragrant cinnamon perfection!
Inspired by a cinnamon loaf my local farmers markets sells, the cinnamon brown sugar that completely surrounds the bread makes for a caramelized golden sweet crust that literally melts in your mouth.
I wanted apples in mine, so here we are! I think the addition of the tart and sweet Granny Smith apples makes this especially perfect for the Fall season.
How to make Apple Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
This loaf is made in a 9″ x 5″ bread pan and is very full as it bakes. Make sure you are using this size and not a smaller pan.
Begin by greasing the loaf pan with butter using a paper towel.
Stir together the cinnamon and brown sugar, add some to the buttered pan, and then tap it around until the bottom and sides are well dusted.
Add the remaining cinnamon sugar to your sliced or diced Granny Smith apples.
Gently stir together a simple buttermilk batter that consists of flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, an egg, buttermilk, and oil.
Add half of the batter to the bottom of the loaf pan.
Top with half of the apples.
Repeat the batter and apples and then swirl together a bit with a butter knifer before baking to glorious, apple cinnamon, fabulously fragrant, golden perfection.
Tis the season for baking! Here are a few of my favorites:
- THE BEST CHERRY PIE RECIPE WITH HOMEMADE FILLING
- ORANGE CRANBERRY POUND CAKE
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
- PUMPKIN PECAN CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING
- BLUEBERRY SOUR CREAM MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
- TOASTED PECAN STREUSEL PUMPKIN PIE
- APPLE STREUSEL MUFFINS
If you’ve tried my Apple Cinnamon Swirl Loaf or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Apple Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced or diced
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5" loaf pan on the bottoms and sides with the tablespoon of butter.
- Stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Pour some of it into the loaf pan and tap it around to coat/dust the bottom and sides of the pan with the brown sugar and cinnamon mix. Dump any extra back into the bowl.
- Add the apples to the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until they are well covered. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and white sugar.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, and oil and stir just until combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk batter to the bottom of the loaf pan. Top with half of the brown sugar apple mixture.
- Repeat the buttermilk batter and finally the remainder of the apples.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the cake into the apples a bit if desired.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a knife in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan and then run a knife around the edges.
- Remove from the loaf pan to finish cooling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.