This is THE BEST, easy Carrot Sheet Cake recipe from scratch! Perfectly moist? Delicate crumb? Sweet, carrot flavor? Ultra-creamy and smooth cream cheese frosting? Crunchy, candied pecans? Yes, yes, and YES to all of that!
This is my favorite recipe for carrot cake. It is 100% made from scratch, ridiculously easy to make, incredibly versatile, and utterly delicious. AND…it might be the OLDEST recipe in my personal recipe book.
My copy of this recipe came out of an old, long-forgotten church cookbook and is still on a faded-to-yellow scrap of paper in my dads handwriting…from when I was eleven! It has been requested and made dozens of time, has a perfected cream cheese frosting, and an easy candied pecan that adds a toasty, sweet crunch.
Bonus: It’s the perfect cake to make-ahead as it’s even better the next day!
This truly is the EASIEST scratch made, no-fail cake ever:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Beat in grated carrots, eggs, and oil.
- Top with luscious, cream cheese frosting.
- Sprinkle easy toasted, candied pecans.
How to make this Easy Carrot Sheet Cake Recipe from Scratch
Whisk together the dry ingredients that include: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Add grated carrots, eggs, and oil.
Beat the batter for 2 minutes and pour into a large baking sheet with a lip.
How to make easy candied pecans.
Candied pecans are as easy as 2 simple ingredients. Sugar and pecans.
Place a small skillet or small sauce pan on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of regular granulated sugar in the bottom and let it sit. Wait until you see the sugar granules melt and begin to turn caramel color. Add the pecans, stir to coat, and almost immediately turn them on to a piece of foil sprayed with no-stick spray to cool. Cooking the pecans too long will cause them to burn, but a very short period of time will toast them slightly.
Warning: these pecans are ridiculously delicious, so making a few extra for snitching fingers is not a bad idea.
Next, how to make the ultra-creamy, cream cheese frosting…
Beat together room temperature cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
Add powdered confectioners sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.
Spread on the cooled cake and evenly distribute the cooled, candied pecans on top.
Can I use this recipe for a standard size cake?
Yes! This amount of batter is perfect for a 9×13 cake pan or two 9″ round cake pans. There are cook times in the recipe notes below.
Tips for the BEST, most incredibly moist carrot cake ever:
- Grate the carrots fresh. Pre-grated carrots can be dry and hard.
- Use the recommended oil amount. I have not taste-tested applesauce substitutes.
- Make sure the cream cheese and butter are room temperature for the creamiest frosting.
Looking for a few other sweet treats? Here are a couple of my favs:
- Guinness Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Irish Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
- Raspberry Puff Pastry Tarts with Lemon Cream Cheese
- Irish Cream Custard Bread Pudding
- Blueberry Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Orange Cranberry Pound Cake
If you’ve tried this Easy Carrot Sheet Cake Recipe from Scratch or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Share a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, Instagram or save it to Pinterest and tag #SAVORWITHJENNIFER. I can’t wait to see your work!
Pin this now to save for later!
Easy Carrot Sheet Cake Recipe from Scratch
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups carrots – fresh grated approx a pound
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup pecans, pieces or halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese – room temperature
- 8 ounces butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 12×17 lipped baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry cake ingredients.
- Add the freshly grated carrots, oil, and eggs to the dry ingredients.
- Beat on medium-high for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl upon occasion.
- Pour into the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place a small skillet or small sauce pan on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of regular granulated sugar in the bottom and let it sit. Wait until you see the sugar granules melt and begin to turn caramel color.
- See photos above the recipe. Add the pecans, stir to coat, and almost immediately turn them on to a piece of foil sprayed with no-stick spray.
- The pecans can usually cook no longer then about a minute before they will burn. Cool the pecans for 5-10 minutes to harden and then break into pieces.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the room temperature cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on a completely cooled cake and garnish with the candied pecans
Mother, Gardener, Book Devourer, and Food Obsessor. I love being inspired with fresh, seasonal ingredients and relish every opportunity to elevate my home cooking. Join me!
The candy pecans were amazing with the cream cheese icing.
I love that combination too!
Thanks for the delicious recipe, It looks amazing and mouth-watering I will try it soon. I am your regular reader and follow your recipes. please also share some simple and easy dessert recipes that are less time taking and easy to cook. Thanks a lot! Keep doing good work!
Thanks for your readership and input. I will definitely work on that!