Ooey, gooey, buttery, creamy, with a hint of bright tangy lemon, these Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies combine all your favorite flavors in one place!
These cookies are as delicious to eat as they are to look at! Using a yellow cake mix with a few simple ingredients and fresh lemon creates a Gooey Butter Cake and Birthday Cake combination that is simply irresistible.
What’s makes these cookies special:
- A yellow cake mix plus 5 simple ingredients equals quick and easy.
- The fresh lemon brings a bright splash of flavor to every bite.
- Butter and cream cheese add richness and decadence.
- The addition of sprinkles makes these cookies a delight to eat and look at.
- The Lemon Drizzle at the end adds something unexpected to these gooey bites of heaven.
How to make Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies
Begin by creaming together cream cheese, butter, an egg, lemon, and vanilla.
Mix the ingredients until they are very light and fluffy.
Add a yellow cake mix to the wet ingredients.
Stir them together just until they are well combined.
Next, stir in half of the sprinkles.
Chill the batter for at least 30-60 minutes to decrease the stickiness when forming the cookies dough balls.
Finally, use a spoon or cookie scoop to collect the dough and pat it into a firm ball.
Roll the cookies dough ball in sprinkles and then powdered sugar.
Bake the cookies just until they are set. Ooey-gooey is the goal.
Are there flavor and color variations for these Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies?
Skip the lemon icing drizzle.
Use a white or lemon cake mix instead of yellow.
Try them without the lemon for a standard Gooey Butter Cake flavor and substitute any cake mix flavor you like. ie chocolate or coconut.
Choose sprinkles suited for a specific holiday like Christmas!
If you like these cookies, make sure to try my:
- BUTTER PECAN COOKIES RECIPE
- CHOCOLATE ALMOND CROISSANT PUFFS
- BLUEBERRY LEMON SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
- ORANGE CRANBERRY POUND CAKE
- RASPBERRY PUFF PASTRY TARTS WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE
If you’ve tried my Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix (1 box yellow cake mix)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, DIVIDED
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until lighter in color and fluffy in texture.
- Add the yellow cake mix and combine just until incorporated.
- Stir in HALF the sprinkles.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more to reduce stickiness of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 minutes.
- Using a standard size cookie scoop, roll dough into a ball and then sprinkle with sprinkles before rolling in the powdered sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, just until dough is set and the bottom just begins to turn golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
- Whisk together the Lemon Drizzle ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies as desired.
Variations:Skip the lemon icing drizzle. Use a white or lemon cake mix instead of yellow. Try them without the Lemon for a standard Gooey Butter Cake flavor and substitute any cake mix flavor you like. ie chocolate or coconut. Choose sprinkles suited for a specific holiday like Christmas!
If you enjoyed the video for Lemon Birthday Cake Batter Cookies , please subscribe to my YouTube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon to be the first to know when we post a new video!)