Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Slaw combines succulent, smoky Cajun spiced shrimp with a creamy and bright fresh Cilantro Citrus Coleslaw for an epic taco guaranteed to delight your senses. Ready in under 30 minutes, Taco Tuesday never had it so good!
This healthy, handheld meal is the perfect combination of smoky spice on tender shrimp that pairs perfectly with the creamy, bright crunch of this Cilantro Lime Slaw!
I love how tacos have endless options and opportunities for variety. Maybe that’s why you can have them every Tuesday? From corn to flour tortillas, crispy or soft, meat filled to vegetarian friendly. Shrimp is probably one of my favorite fillers, like these SPICY SHRIMP TACOS WITH MANGO SALSA, but it’s also so much fun to do something like this PORK BELLY TACO WITH PICKLED ONION & ROASTED PINEAPPLE.
Tacos, in general, are usually a great weeknight dinner, tend to be pretty healthy, and there is almost always a variety that the kiddos will eat…even the picky ones.
How to make Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Slaw
Begin by making a Cajun Spice Mix.
The spices in this mix are pretty common and the results are far superior to anything I’ve found pre-mixed in a shaker. I’ve used this Cajun spice blend on chicken, fish, pork tenderloin and in pasta with great results.
Coat the shrimp with the spice mix.
Heat a large skillet to a medium high temp.
Add the shrimp in a single layer to an olive oil and butter combo. Let them cook mostly through without disturbing them. This will give you a great sear on the shrimp.
Flip the shrimp one time to finish cooking them through.
Shrimp cook very quickly. Overcooked shrimp can be tough. Raw shrimp are translucent and gray. They will turn opaque with reddish or pink tints as they cook. Watch the crevice in the back of the shrimp where the vein was removed and AS SOON as the flesh at the base of that crevice turns from translucent to opaque, the shrimp is done.
Load the shrimp on top of PURPLE CILANTRO LIME COLESLAW with your favorite tortilla and enjoy the succulent, spicy bite of shrimp with the cool, crisp and creamy slaw in this scrumptious taco.
PINEAPPLE COLESLAW is another great slaw that pairs really well with spicy, cajun shrimp.
If you’ve tried my Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Slaw or any other recipe on this website, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it came out in the comments below. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Pin this now to save for later!
Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Slaw
- 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled, and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- tortillas – corn or flour
- 1 green onion, sliced – garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for squeezing
Cajun Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Preheat a large skillet to a medium high heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cajun spice blend.
- Add the raw shrimp to spices and stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Add the butter and olive oil to the hot skillet.
- When the butter foams, add the shrimp in a single layer to the bottom of the pan.
- Let the shrimp remain undisturbed for 1-3 minutes until they are mostly cooked through and then flip one time. Cook for an additional minute on the second side JUST until they are opaque.
- Serve the shrimp over Purple Cilantro Lime Coleslaw on tortillas of choice.
- Garnish with green onion slices and squeeze lime wedges if desired.