Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Quick sauteed, tender chicken tidbits in a mouth watering stir-fry sauce with hints of peanut, soy, and ginger, cupped in a cool, crisp lettuce leaf. This easy dish is a favorite appetizer or a perfect weeknight, simple supper.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow or white onion
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 head Butter or Boston lettuce, leaves seperated and cleaned
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Chop chicken, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and white/yellow onion into consistent, pea size pieces. Thinly slice green onions.
Whisk sauce ingredients together until well combined and set aside.
Heat wok, fry pan, or dutch oven to a high heat.
Add oil and then the chicken. Saute chicken until the water in the chicken releases, evaporates, and then starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
Remove chicken from pan and add the water chestnuts, mushrooms, and onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes with a pinch of salt until any released water evaporates and they start to soften and brown.
Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
Add chicken back into the pan and the sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Let reduce until sauce is almost the consistency of syrup. Remove from heat.
Serve with lettuce leaves. Garnish with sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, cilantro, and/or crushed peanuts.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 894mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2.5mg