Homemade Red Sauce in Less then 40 Minutes!
Quick and easy red sauce infused with red wine, fresh vegetables, herbs, and spices sure to elevate any Italian meal.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 rib celery finely minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 28 ounce can quality crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - fresh ground
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Add onion and celery to pan and sprinkle with salt.
Saute onion and celery until soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add wine and cook until you have a gentle simmer.
Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, and black pepper.
Stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring as necessary.
Taste sauce and add salt and pepper if necessary.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 750mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 16.7mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.7mg